Saturday, September 24, 2011

Colossians 2:1-5

Who-    Paul is "I" (He is the writer, see Chapter 1),
            To Colossians and Laodiceans

Col 4:16 "And when this letter has been read among you, have it also read in the church of the Laodiceans; and see that you also read the letter from Laodicea."

Colossea is 9 miles away from Laodicea and close to Hierapolis

Col 4:13 "For I[Paul] bear him [Epaphras] witness that he has worked hard for you and for those in Laodicea and in Hierapolis."

For a map click on the link or copy and paste it into the browser.

            http://bibleatlas.org/colossae.htm

                        Laodicea is the 7th church in Revelation

Revelation 3:14-22 "'And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write:"The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation. (15) I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! (16)So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. (17) For you say , I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. (18) I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. (19) Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. (20) Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.  (21)The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.  (22)He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."'"

I do not want to stray too far from Colossae, but I thought it was interesting to point out what happened to Laodicea.  They were rich in monetary value and were a huge textile industry. And they could "purchase" just about anything. See the link below if you feel compelled to read more.

(http://www.studylight.org/dic/hbd/view.cgi?number=T3759)

But the things that Jesus is counseling them to buy are only available through the grace that is in Him. He is the beginning (see Rev 3:14 above and Col 1:17, John 1) and the fullness of God in visible expression. This is a warning against being "lukewarm".  What do you think about this "Lukewarm" character of the people in this church? Does it line up with anything that we are reading in Colossians?

 Col 2:9-10 "For in Him the fullness of deity dwells bodily, (10) and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority."   

In verse 1 – Paul is continuing his topic from Col 1:24-29. In his struggle, he is demonstrating the affliction that believers will experience for the Gospel's sake. 
Verse 2&3 – Christ is God's mystery

-          And with Him are all riches of full assurance, Understanding, wisdom, knowledge

-          As opposed to verse 4

Verse 4 – plausible arguments

-          Just because the world may show "smart" arguments there is still the Truth

-          Paul was warning the Colossians about these plausible arguments.  This is applicable to today's churches. 

Romans 16:17-18 "I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. (18) For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naïve."

2 Peter 2 is a full chapter warning about  false prophets and teachers, though in this passage it is very clear on what is inaccurate.

-          I personally have seen false teachings enter congregations, and it doesn't always start out blatant.  It seems to creep in. We need to stay on the lookout and be prepared to always look back to God's word.  

-          We have foundational truths – Jesus Christ is Lord

-          These truths are understood through the Holy Spirit- 1 Corinthians 12:3

"Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in Spirit of God ever says 'Jesus is accursed!' and no one can say 'Jesus is Lord' except in the Holy Spirit"

Verse 5 – Paul states that he is absent – which is given that this is a letter . BUT he is with them in Spirit.

How  is he with them in Spirit? We hear people say those words frequently, which maybe this is where they get it, in which case, I think they are demeaning the profound message behind it.

Did this verse grab anybody else's attention?  The Colossians (not all of course but the brothers that the letter is written to) are in Christ.  Paul is in Christ.  Paul is with the Colossians in Spirit.  And in that Spirit he is REJOICING (Do I hear thankfulness in rejoicing?) to see that their firmness is in Christ! 

So far Paul has mentioned thanksgiving/thankfulness/Rejoicing for and with his brothers in Christ Four  times in Colossians.

Why is Paul so thankful for his brothers?  Why does he rejoice  to see that Christ is their foundation?

With each of our brothers and sisters in Christ, we have encouragement, but the Lord receives Glory and honor.    

Christ is the Foundation and we need to ALWAYS remember that and keep on the lookout so that none of our congregation is led astray by deceptive philosophies. We need to pray for our church, and the leaders of the church.  They have a significant responsibility in preaching God's word. 

One other thing to note – How are we going to know what is against scripture if we are not in it every day?  

 

Megan

1 comment:

  1. This is all so good and encouraging and spuring me to keep on.
    Thank you Megan.

    ReplyDelete